U&I – Our Story, Our Impact
U&I is a non-profit organization that is committed to creating long-term, positive social change in education, child and women welfare and mental health. Working with neglected communities in nine cities across India, U&I directly impacts 850 people on a weekly basis.
U&I first started with our Co-Founders Ajit Sivaram and Satish Manchikanti conducting computer classes for children from neighbouring slums. What began as a small group of friends passionate about social change has become an organization which has impacted the lives of hundreds of at-risk individuals and inspired thousands to be the change they want to see.
U&I runs two main initiatives -
U&I Teach: The Teach program impacts underprivileged children through after-school education conducted in 21 Learning Centers across the country.
U&I Care: The Care program focuses on the rehabilitation and care of special-needs individuals and trafficked women in government-run homes in Bangalore.
WHY U&I TEACH?
U&I Teach operates with a goal of running high-quality Learning Centers for underprivileged children. In India today overcrowding in government schools and lack of resources has led to a high dropout rate of 90% by high school. U&I tackles this problem through our free, afterschool Learning Centers where children get access to quality education and individualized mentorship. Our core strengths include:
· Leveraging the power of trained volunteer teachers to tutor children in Math, English, Science and Social Studies.
· 21 Learning Centers across 10 cities reaching 850 children
· Providing an incredibly low tutor-student ratio of 1:3, or less.
· Personalized attention through which learning is maximized.
· Role models for first-generation learners.
· Holistic education through our 360 Care program which integrates career days, personality development training, counselling sessions, and field trips, as well as setting up libraries.
WHY U&I CARE?
U&I Care U&I Care is a rehabilitation, counselling and training program that we run in two government-run Homes in Bangalore – the Home for Mentally Challenged Boys and the Social Services Complex for Men.
Some of the services we provide include:
· Hiring, training and managing staff to assist in the care of the residents
· Conducting rehabilitation programs for the residents through physiotherapy and speech therapy
· Conducting assessments of the residents to determine their level of improvement in meeting individualized goals
· Conducting events for the residents and providing social interaction through games, music and conversation.
U&I leverages the power of volunteers who are committed to enhancing the quality of life for the neglected. Through the #bridgethegap campaign, we aim to raise finances to support the most vulnerable in our society through education and healthcare. We can join together to empower and educate, to bridge the gap and give these individuals an opportunity to realize their full potential.
U&I works with one thousand volunteers every year. These are people who are committed to social change. These are people who have not given up. These are people who are changing the world – one person at a time.
Together, we are building communities of change.